Information for Parents and Children Participating in Youth Activities
Greetings friends from Dame Arwen Lioncourt, Pied Piper and de facto Dean of Pages, Stromgard:
We have three days of wonderful activities planned for children of all ages! Please come and join us!!! Last year the gate saw more than 700 people, and we hope to have more people this year!!! To make the children's activities enjoyable and safe for all at this very large site, we ask the following:
1) Parents/Legal guardians must complete the SCA Minor authorization in order to be admitted at gate (links are listed below).
2) Minors under the age of 11 must be within eyesight/earshot of an adult at all times.
3) Minors under the age of 11 must be accompanied by their Parent/Legal Guardian at the SCA Children's Activities Area. Either Dame Arwen Lioncourt or one of the designated adults hosting the Children's Area (wearing a Ministry badge) will ask you to sign in your child and give you a form regarding the current kingdom Children's policy. The Parent/Legal Guardian must REMAIN with the child in the Children's Area while the child is participating in activities. [I promise that you will have fun!]
4) If you are unable to comply with these policies, then you may be asked to speak with the Baronial Seneschale.
There will not be set times for classes this year. The area will be open from 11-4 each day, and children will be able to participate in the following classes/activities during those times as they desire:
--Wool appliqué embroidery
--Wool blanket stitch pouches
--Isolde's Viking whipcord
--Cedric's Viking wool hats
--Celtic knot game
--Capture the Flag
--Teen Dance on Saturday night
--Teen Scavenger Hunt/Games after dark Friday Night
--Saturday Finger Food Lunch and Norse Story Time in Bjorgvin's Long Hall
(parents please bring a plate and a drink for you and your children!)
If you are bringing a minor (under 18) that is not your own, then complete these web page forms and have them either notarized OR bring a note with a photo copy of the driver's license of the parent signing the form. The parent can black out his/her address only. 2 COPIES PLEASE. One for the gate and one for the child to keep with him/her when coming to the Children's Area.
If you are bringing your own children to the event then please complete THIS form in advance:
Please email me at srberry [at] teleport [dot] com if you have any questions. I would love to speak with you about bringing your children and teens to this fabulous event!
In Joyful Service to the Children of AnTir,
I Humbly Remain,
Dame Arwen Lioncourt OP
Pied Piper and de facto Dean of Pages
Barony of Stromgard
In the interest of keeping the children of An Tir safe and allowing them to enjoy our SCA events, it has became necessary for An Tir and all of the SCA to have rules in place regarding youth at events.
Most outdoor sites have some natural hazards for children, such as lakes and fast moving rivers and streams. These should be noted in the site handout. You will of course want to be familiar with these natural features. In addition, please read over these rules and discuss the importance of them with your children.
The Society Seneschal Policy for Youth Activities has been expanded to clarify requirements, responsibilities, enforcement, and repercussions for noncompliance:
Parents or Guardians who bring minors to an event must ensure their children’s actions are compliant with SCA Laws, Policies, and site rules that require minors 12 and under to be within sight/sound of a responsible parent/guardian at all times.
All youth activities must have two adults, unrelated to each other, at all times and the activity must stop if that number falls below the required two (2). All youth attending youth activities and classes will need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian. The SCA youth events and classes should not be considered a babysitting service for youth.
This policy does not relieve parents or guardians of their primary responsibility for the welfare and behavior of their children.
Neglect of Parental (or Guardian) responsibility for minors:
1. If event/branch SCA officials find minors in breach of SCA Governing Documents, Laws, Policies or site rules they will (for a first offense) escort the minor to their parent/guardian and issue a verbal warning. A report on the incident will be tendered to the local and Kingdom Seneschal.
2. On a second offense at a given event, the parent(s)/guardian(s) will be required to keep their minor(s) with them for the remainder of the function. A report on the incident will be tendered to the local, Kingdom and Society Seneschal.
3. On a third offense, the minor (s) *and * parent(s)/Guardian(s) will be expelled from the event, and the matter will be reported to local, Kingdom and Society Seneschals.
4. Habitual offenders will be subject to review by Kingdom and Society level for possible sanctions.”